Here are some of the best food stories we came across this week:
- FDA Forced to End Use of Excessive Antibiotics in Food Animals – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been ordered to end the use of several antibiotics in food animals, except to treat disease. In the past, the FDA made reform voluntary and simply asked drug companies to stop. Now that’s changing.
- Meat-loving Las Vegas Embraces its Vegan Side – From casual eateries to fine dining at the Wynn and Encore Hotels, wholesome vegan meals are popping up throughout Sin City.
- Egg Carton Claims Deciphered – This decoder helps consumers understand what type of food the hen was fed, its environment and how it’s treated, plus what the health promises actually mean.
- 10 Things the Food Industry Doesn’t Want You to Know – Makers and marketers of junk food are exposed by Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition at New York University, and David Ludwig, a pediatrician and commentator on obesity in America.
- Patagonia Sells Sustainable Salmon Jerky to Raise Awareness – The eco-forward company goes beyond outdoor apparel with a line of wild-caught, sustainable salmon jerky in part to nudge the seafood industry away from overfishing and unsustainable farming. Check out a video about it here.
Image courtesy of Joost J. Bakker.