Here are some of the best food stories we came across this week:
- Don’t Mock the Artisanal-Pickle Makers: The hipster-artisan, so often the butt of jokes*, may be pointing the way forward for the American economy.
- Pollan’s Food Rules Get Animated: A video starring animated veggies brings Michael Pollan’s Food Rules to life.
- First Lady Brings Chefs to Schools: As part of her Let’s Move initiative, this week Michelle Obama launched ChefsMovetoSchools.org, “a new website that will connect chefs to classrooms and cafeterias.”
- Chipotle Vs/ Factory Meat: The Clean Plates approved chain debuted its first national ad during the Grammy’s (screenshot above), promoting the importance of hormone- and antibiotic-free meat. Bonus: the soundtrack features Coldplay and Willie Nelson.
- Prince Charles on the Future of Food: A new book version of the Prince’s moving speech at last year’s Future of Food conference features an all-new foreword by Wendell Berry and afterword by Will Allen and Eric Schlosser.
*See We Can Pickle That from Portlandia on IFC.